Check out our "Be Strong Online Ambassadors" notice board! More information about our Be Strong Online campaign will appear soon!
What is the Internet, Cloud and Digital Media?
Internet - The Internet is an electronic information highway connecting many millions of computers and individual subscribers all over the world. As this global network is not governed by an international body there are obviously dangers concerning the kind of information that is accessible to its users. However, the educational value of appropriate use of information and resources located on the internet is substantial.
Cloud – Cloud-based learning and teaching encompasses a broad range of educational resources available in an online environment. This includes My-School, Fronter, Equella and other online resources.
Digital Media - This covers all hardware, software, portable and non-portable devices used for educational purposes inside and outside of school.
Rationale for pupil use of the Internet, Cloud and Digital Media
The school encourages pupils to use the rich educational information sources available on the internet and cloud, together with the development of appropriate skills using digital media to fully utilise such resources. On-line resources offer pupils a broad range of up-to-date information; provide independent research facilities; facilitate a variety of learning styles and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own learning. E-literacy is a fundamental requirement for all pupils in order to prepare for the continually developing technological age in which we live.
Networked Access to Internet, Cloud and Digital Media
The school provides filtered internet access to pupils and staff on the C2K network. Only filtered internet connections provided by, or on behalf of, the school may be used to access online material at school. Parents, pupils and staff are reminded that all electronic devices must also be used in accordance with the school's BYOD, E-safety and Acceptable Use Policies.
How will pupils gain access to the Internet, Cloud and Digital Media at School?
- During ICT lessons.
- Through subject use across the curriculum.
- During extra-curricular activities.
- In the study areas, during normal school hours and occasionally at other times.
- Through school wifi (filtered).
Are there any dangers associated with using the Internet, Cloud and Digital Media?
Since the internet and cloud are composed of information from a vast array of sources world-wide, it includes some material that is not of any educational value in the context of the school. This material may include information that is inaccurate, abusive, profane, sexually oriented, racist or illegal.
In order to guard young people from any inherent dangers it is the joint responsibility of the school and parents/ carers to educate pupils about their responsibility when using the internet and cloud.
• Snapchat Checklist
Follow these tips for greater social media privacy:
Facebook - remove unwanted tags from multiple photos
• Go to your activity log
• Click 'Photos' in the left column
• Select the photos from which you'd like to remove a tag; click 'Report/remove tags'
• Click 'Untag photos'
• Removed tags will no longer appear on the post or photo will still be visible to the audience it's shared with.
Twitter - Protect tweets so that only your followers can see them
• Go to your account's 'Security and privacy' settings
• Scroll down to the 'Tweet privacy' section and check the box next to 'Protect my tweets'
• Click the blue 'Save' button at the bottom of the page. You will be prompted to enter your password to confirm the changes.
Instagram - Set photos to private so only your followers can see them
•Tap ‘Edit your profile’ next to your profile picture.
•Turn on the ‘Posts are private’ setting and then tap ‘Done’.
•If you have an android phone, tap the check mark instead to save your changes.
• Advice on how to report abuse www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents
• General Parental Advice - www.saferinternet.org.uk/advice-and-resources/parents-and-carers
• Childnet: Know IT all for Parents - www.childnet.com/resources/know-it-all-for-parents
• Google Safe Search - www.safesearchkids.com